Friday, December 18, 2009

Interview-Why the increase in Thyroid Cancer?




I had such an amazing experience with the NBC crew! They were so nice and made us feel so comfortable in the 5 hours they spent here. I enjoyed learning about what all went into just the few short seconds that will actually be shown on TV. Several hours of filming and setting up lights,etc. I was asked questions ranging from how I found out that I had Cancer, to my initial reaction when I heard the news, my surgery,treatment, recovery,and why so many more women are getting it now.

The question that I was not fully prepared to answer was why did I have cancer? What caused it? Honestly, I don't know! This isn't a type of cancer that you get by smoking too much or laying out in the sun. Thyroid cancer is still a mystery to me. It might be environmental, perhaps exposure to radiation, which I had a good bit of while I was growing up b/c of braces,etc. I am eager to read what my surgeon has to say about the studies, and research that she has found. I want to help other people through their journeys too, but it would be amazing if we were able to prevent people from getting it in the future. My little girls faces flashed before my eyes...I don't want them to have to face this battle. Please pray that a cure can be found for this cancer and so many more.

1 comment:

  1. Cancer name itself is dangerous. Thyroid cancer is very rare. It starts from thyroid gland and is kind of neck cancer. According to a new study, it has been found that those who stay in volcanic regions, are at higher risk of thyroid cancer. If anyone observes symptoms of it, should consult doctor immediately.

    ReplyDelete